Saturday, December 4, 2010

Post #9: My Favorite Bread

In one of my previous posts I gave you the recipe for a fantastic white bread that I got from my 'Object of Lust #3 of 10' (complete list to be detailed later), the Avoca Cafe Cookbook. Much to my delight, I got a couple of requests for the recipe for the multi seed bread I made. Its really good and full of healthy seeds. I enjoy it under a poached egg or even with a little bit of butter and homemade rhubarb and ginger jam. I hope you enjoy it! If you make it let me know how you liked it :)

Multi Seed Brown Bread (adapted from The Avoca Cafe Cookbook)

To make 1 large loaf:

200g plain flour
350g coarse brown flour
50g bran
25g wheatgerm
2 heaped teaspoons baking powder
1 level teaspoon salt
handful and a half of any seeds you have (I like to use flax, sunflower, and pumpkin. All raw or unroasted)
1 tablespoon treacle or molasses
600-900ml milk

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Warm the milk (start with the 600ml) enough so the treacle dissolves into it. Add the milk/treacle to the dry ingredients and mix to make a moist dough, like stiff porridge. If its too dry, add more milk. Place the dough in a greased 2lb baking tin and bake in an oven preheated to 180C/350F for 1 hour or until the loaf is well browned and sounds hollow when turned out of the tin and tapped underneath. Leave on a wire rack to cool.


The recipe calls for sultanas and semi dried apricots to be added but I like to stick with just the seeds. This bread freezes extremely well. I slice the loaf when its cooled, throw it in a freezer bag and take out slices as I need them. Its brilliant. I never buy bread anymore.

Hope you and yours have a great day :)

Peace,
Jenn x

1 comment: