Sunday, January 30, 2011

Yorkshire Puddings!

Growing up, my grandmother made the biggest Yorkshire puddings I'd ever seen. My mom was baffled for years, trying to re-create them but without luck. She tried a lot of different tricks but could never seem to get them to come out like my grandmother's. It was very sad. I was disappointed. Was I destined to only have lovely Yorkshire puddings a few times a year when we went to visit Calgary? Boo!

My first job was working for a restaurant and catering company. On my first day when I was getting a tour through the kitchen I looked into one of the ovens and saw Yorkshire puddings. Massive. Huge. Crunchy. Gorgeous. Even bigger and better-looking than my grandmothers! I was determined that I would learn how to make some fantastic Yorkshire puddings and that my mother would never make a failed batch again. Or at least I'd be able to make them well so we could have them.

They are super easy, but there are a few little idiosyncrasies to keep in mind. The main one is temperature. Its important that nothing is cold. I put my milk in the microwave for a minute to take the chill off it. If the eggs are straight out of the fridge I put them in a bowl of lukewarm water. The oven has to be hot before you put them in and unless they have risen so much they are touching the upper element (which has happened to me), do not open the oven door before they are done or they will fall. Make sure you leave them in until they are completely brown, otherwise they will fall.

Sound ok?

Here we go.

Its easy to remember the ratio. Think of how many Yorkshire puddings you want to end up with. Divide that number by 2 to get the number of eggs you'll need. Divide the number of eggs you'll need by 4 and you'll get the amount of milk & flour. Make sense?

Maybe it will be clearer after this. Or maybe it won't. I'll show you how to make a half dozen anyway and you can adjust from there.

Yorkshire Puddings 
Makes 6

3 eggs
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup flour
pinch salt

So get all your stuff together. Put the eggs in lukewarm water if they are straight out of fridge.


Beat eggs and milk together. Sift in the flour and pinch of salt. Beat like mad.

 Looks like pancake batter

After its very well whipped, pour into well-greased cupcake pan. Fill those puppies right up.





Put the tray into an oven pre-heated to 175F and leave for 35-40 minutes. Take them out when they are well browned.


Enjoy with a delicious roast beef dinner!

Mmmmmm!! Yum!

Do you like Yorkshire puddings?


Peace,

Jenn x

2 comments:

  1. Your Yorkshire Puds look perfect! I remember being v intimidated by them when I heard how hard they were from friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're really easy! Just keep everything warm and don't open the oven before they are nicely browned. That's it! Give them a go!! You can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete