Saturday, February 19, 2011

Crème Brûlée - P Dub style

Another request for some cooking when I arrived home in December was from my amazing Nana - 'I'd like you to make Crème Brûlée before you go back please'.

I had never made this, which was great. I love trying new things. So when I found vanilla beans at Costco (I miss Costco) I remembered that the Pioneer Woman posted a recipe using vanilla beans, so away I went.

I couldn't possibly explain how to make the recipe as good as Ree so I'll direct you to her recipe.

And I'll tell you, it turned out wonderful. Totally delicious. Really good. Yummy and a half. Another recipe I was impressed that I made, and that our guests were impressed with. They had a lovely consistency and the vanilla flavour deepened with time. And as I'm a vanilla monster, that's a wonderful thing :) I did have to give most of them away (I think the recipe made 10 or 12 of these little ramekins, so obviously we couldn't keep them nearby. And it was Christmastime, the season of sharing calories) which made a lot of people happy.

I think the real reason my amazing Nana wanted to make them was to play with the torch

She rocked it. She's cool.

But a tip: check to see if there's a constant flame button, cause holding down the ignitor for ages hurts. Hence why I'm double fisting it in the first picture. My thumb is still a little tender.

This is an awesome dessert if you have company because you can make it the day before and leave it in the fridge (or outside, if you make it in the winter in Canada, which I did :) and all you have to do is torch the tops before you're ready to serve. Don't caramelize the sugar ahead of time because the pièce de résistance is the crispy top and if its left, this will soften and it won't be as fabulous.


So try it. Its good :)


Have you tried crème brûlée? Are you a fan?


Have a great weekend!!!




Peace,


Jenn x


2 comments:

  1. I love creme brûlée, it's up there as one of my all time favourite desserts! Looks like it worked perfectly - mine have not always been that great. I do have a torch now so I'm planning on trying again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pic with your Nana, and I love creme brule!

    ReplyDelete